some regression test of kaffe 1.0.6 failed on linux

Edouard G. Parmelan Edouard.Parmelan at quadratec.fr
Fri Sep 22 01:25:15 PDT 2000

Fang Wei Jian wrote:

> After I successfully compiled kaffe 1.0.6 on linux, I tried "make
> check". To my surprise, some of the regression test failed, including
> Preempt.java. That means kaffe 1.0.6 doesn't support thread preemptive
> scheduling, which is an important problem. While kaffe 1.0.5 support it.
> I tried on both linux 2.0.36 and linux 2.2.1. How could this happened?

The Java compiler KJC include in kaffe-1.0.6 baddly compile Preempt.java
and some other test-cases :-(

Just few days before kaffe-1.0.6 was released, I mail an alarm about
that on kaffe-core but my mail was received two days latters :-(

    With kjc-1.4F compiling Preempt.java will enter in an infinite loop.
    More, if you had these two methods foo(char) and foo(int), calling
    foo((byte)bar) foo((short)bar) will be compiled as call to
    foo(char).  That wrong, it must be compile as call to foo(int).  A
    concret example is methods print() and println() of class
    java.lang.PrintWriter (see System.out).

I have patch KJC and commit in Kaffe CVS Tree. `kjc --version' now
reports `version number: 1.4F-cvs20000716-egp1'.

You can get it from my Kaffe download page http://egp.free.fr/kaffe or
directly at http://egp.free.fr/kaffe/kjc-1.4F-egp1.jar.

Replace your libraries/javalib/kjc.jar with it and all regressions tests
will the work.
--
Edouard G. Parmelan
http://egp.free.fr