desktop or embedded version?

Jef Dodson kaffe@rufus.w3.org
Mon, 16 Jul 2001 12:01:39 -0700

Hello,
I am a Kaffe newbie, so please bear with me.  I have a project that involves
writing a java application on an embedded computer running Linux.  Actually,
the board is a PC/104 with a Pentium class cpu running at 233 MHz with 64 MB
of memory, so it's really more of a desk top than an embedded computer!
However, I need to get telemetry data at 8 HZ ( every 125 ms ) and ship it
off to a client for display in real-time.  My question is, which version of
Kaffe should I use?  Will the desktop version suffice, or do I need an
embedded version?  What are the differences in the versions?  I'm kinda
confused about this whole version thing.  If I understand things correctly,
the embedded version is not free.  Is that right?  How does one find out