arm cross-compile problem

Mark Horton mark at nostromo.net
Fri Jul 13 01:29:17 PDT 2001

I'm trying to cross-compile kaffe-1.0.6 to run on the ipaq 3670. I'm
running linux (familiar 0.4) on the ipaq.  My reason for doing this is
compile it "--with-x".

The compile succeeds but when I attempt to run any .class file it seg
faults.  As you probably can tell I am not experienced with
cross-compiling and I wanted to see if I have done anything wrong.

Here's what I have done:

I've downloaded and set up the toolchain from handhelds.org.  I have
been able to compile several different kernels with the toolchain so I
believe I have it set up properly.

I've downloaded kaffe-1.0.6.tar.gz from kaffe.org.  Then I set the
following environment variables:

export CC=arm-linux-gcc
export AS=arm-linux-as
export LD=arm-linux-ld
export CC=arm-linux-gcc
export CPP='arm-linux-gcc -E'
export AR=arm-linux-ar
export NM=arm-linux-nm
export STRIP=arm-linux-strip
export OBJCOPY=arm-linux-objcopy
export OBJDUMP=arm-linux-objdump
export RANLIB=arm-linux-ranlib

Then I issue configure like so:

./configure --with-x --host=arm-linux --prefix=/mnt/big/java/kaffe-1.0.6

The only thing printed out during configure that seems unusual is the
folowing line:

configure: warning: when cross compiling, you may want to set
ac_cv_c_char_unsigned to yes or no

I have not been able to figure out how to set "ac_cv_c_char_unsigned".
I've tried various things but none have made a difference.

I continue succesfully with "make" and "make install".  I then tar up
/mnt/big/java/kaffe-1.0.6 and scp it over to the ipaq.

When I untar it and try to run anything it seg faults.

Does anyone know if this could be a problem with my cross-compiling or
with something else.  Any pointers or ideas would be helpful.

thanks,
Mark