Status of BeOS x86 kaffe

Duncan W. McQueen kaffe@rufus.w3.org
Sun, 3 Jun 2001 20:30:16 -0500

Cleanroom conditions?  Was that the statement that we didn't look at the Sun
sources?

WHat needs to be done to get those sources folded into the kaffe tree?

Thanks,
Duncan McQueen
BeKaffe

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-kaffe@rufus.w3.org [mailto:owner-kaffe@rufus.w3.org]On
Behalf Of Edouard G. Parmelan
Sent: Sunday, June 03, 2001 11:56 AM
To: Chris Nash
Cc: kaffe@rufus.w3.org
Subject: Re: Status of BeOS x86 kaffe

Chris Nash wrote:

> I saw it mentioned at kaffe.org and in the FAQ that the BeOS threading
> model is incomplete (something I noticed when the preempt.java test
> needed a ctrl+C to get past) and I checked the archives, and it seems
> to me there hasn't been any BeOS activity for about 12 months, nor is
> BeOS mentioned in the supported systems, however I can at least get
> 1.0.6 to build and work except for the threading issues, and it seems
> no JIT3.

To add jit3 support for x86 BeOS, simply create the file
config/i386/beos/jit3-md.h that contains only this line:

    #include "i386/beos/jit-md.h"

> The BeKaffe AWT group seems equally dead.

Yep, on 14 Oct 2000, Tomaso Paoletti wrote:

Tomaso> For almost one year I've been developing, together with other
Tomaso> developers (mainly Sim Ijskes) the AWT layer targeted to BeOS,
Tomaso> under the name of Project BeKaffe (http://bekaffe.sourceforge.net).
Tomaso>
Tomaso> As I'm in the process of abandoning the project, due to lack of
time,
Tomaso> and no one is available to take this job, I would ask you if it's
possible to
Tomaso> contribute back all the sources, so that the effort does not remain
pointless
Tomaso> if some other brave soul wants to take from where we're leaving.
Tomaso>
Tomaso> It won't require great changes to the current CVS source base,
Tomaso> we have been a nice project living in separate BeOS directories :-)
Tomaso> The only shared changes that come to mind is the addition of two
Tomaso> unharmful lines into the configure.in and ltconfig scripts.

But I don't know if Tim have received `cleanroom conditions' (see
http://www.kaffe.org/develop.html#cleanroom) so I never download bekaffe
sources.

--
Edouard G. Parmelan