[kaffe] Some obscure(?) problem...

Jukka Santala jsantala@tml.hut.fi
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 16:53:10 +0300 (EEST)

Using Linux i686, all 112 regression tests pass, however for some time now
the XSmiles "suite" has silently failed to run on the Kaffe desktop
edition. As this isn't a high priority for us just now (It still works
fien with the custom edition we're using for embedded testing) I haven't
looked at it in very deep detail, as it appears rather elusive combination
of bugs, but it'd be nice to have it working on the Kaffe release ;)

As I said, this is a silent error, so there's no Java stack backtrace to
work on. Turning on various debugging options, here's what I believe to eb
most relevant things:

findMethodLocal(kaffe/util/IntegerHashtable,calculateBucket,(I)I) ->
0x823d290
getMethodSignatureClass(kaffe/util/IntegerHashtable,calculateBucket,(I)I)
-> success
*** getField(kaffe/util/IntegerHashtable,keys,[I)
*** getField(kaffe/util/IntegerHashtable,keys,[I)
*** getField(kaffe/util/IntegerHashtable,elements,[Ljava/lang/Object;)
*** getField(kaffe/util/IntegerHashtable,keys,[I)
*** getField(kaffe/util/IntegerHashtable,elements,[Ljava/lang/Object;)
*** getField(kaffe/util/IntegerHashtable,keys,[I)
*** getField(kaffe/util/IntegerHashtable,keys,[I)
findMethodLocal(java/lang/Character$CharacterProperties,getIndex,(C)I) ->
0x823e0b0
getMethodSignatureClass(java/lang/Character$CharacterProperties,getIndex,(C)I)
-> success
findMethodLocal(java/lang/Character$CharacterProperties,getIndex,(C)I) ->
0x823e0b0
getMethodSignatureClass(java/lang/Character$CharacterProperties,getIndex,(C)I)
-> success
*** getField(java/lang/Character$CharacterProperties,rangeStart,[C)
*** getField(java/lang/Character$CharacterProperties,rangeEnd,[C)
*** getField(java/lang/Character$CharacterProperties,rangeStart,[C)
*** getField(java/lang/Character$CharacterProperties,rangeEnd,[C)
Initialising java/lang/Character$CharacterProperties static 26
findMethodLocal(java/lang/Character$CharacterProperties,<clinit>,()V) ->
0x823e1f0
Initialising java/lang/Character$CharacterProperties static 26
findMethodLocal(java/lang/Character$CharacterProperties,<clinit>,()V) ->
0x823e1f0
findMethodLocal(java/lang/ExceptionInInitializerError,finalize,()V) -> NOT
FOUND

In other words, some error occurs within the static initializer of
java.lang.Character.CharacterProperties, but for some reason
ExceptionInInitializerError fails to provide stack backtrace, or in fact
any output about the problem. This is further complicated by the fact that
the regression test for ExceptionInInitializerError passes, and earlier
initializations of CharacterProperties seem to pass through fine.

Altough the debug log is in parts little different, the latest Xsmiles
release (0.5) appears to exhibit same problem with the recent Kaffe
desktop edition versions. I'll take a closer look if I have time, but as
usual, if this rings a bell to anyone, particularily in regards to the
latest modifications around this year, let me know. (Or fix it;)

 -Jukka Santala