[kaffe] Some obscure(?) problem...

Jukka Santala jsantala at tml.hut.fi
Thu Apr 25 04:08:10 PDT 2002

On Wed, 24 Apr 2002, Timothy Stack wrote:
> The last sentence is the important part, basically, if you don't care
> about not getting any of the samples taken between the start of main() and
> the initialization of xprof, its no big deal.  Actually, i would imagine
> the data is still available in the regular gmon file, it just won't be
> rolled into xgmon file.

Yeah, I noticed that, and that's why I started merging the patch. However,
[jsantala at yavin janosvm-0.6.0]$ janosvm /usr/libexec/Kaffe: relocation
error: /usr/lib/libkaffemisc-1.0.6.so: undefined symbol: kaffevmDebugMask
[jsantala at yavin janosvm-0.6.0]$ /usr/jre/bin/Kaffe /usr/jre/bin/Kaffe:
relocation error: /usr/jre/lib/i386/libkaffevm-1.0.6.so: undefined symbol:
profileArcHit

The build-scripts ar eunfortunately quite a pain, so I'm not sure I'll get
around to looking at that very soon. It's probably related to the same
problem preventing xdebugging as well.

While on the topic, could you comment on why the xprof code has been
changed to use gc_malloc with GC_ALLOC_FIXED alloc-strategy instead of
KLMALLOC? Is that something that the common Kaffe version could benefit
from?

 -Jukka Santala