[kaffe] Re: using ant to build kaffe - ant needs non-free java!

Grzegorz Prokopski gadek at debian.org
Sun Aug 4 09:32:13 PDT 2002

W liście z nie, 04-08-2002, godz. 17:02, Jim Pick pisze:
> Ean Scheussler maintains the .deb - I'd ask him about when he's going to
> have time to put out 1.0.7.  I'm sure it fixes some bugs (but possibly
> creates more).
I somehow quickly created 1.0.7 deb - by copying ./debian content from
current debian package. I got very messy directory layout, so small
sidenote here. Why is this all so non-FHShis?
- I got jars (kjs.jar, tools.jar) in /usr/lib, when they should be
somewhere in /usr/share (architecutre independant stuff), like
/usr/share/kaffe or sth?
- most of things in /usr/jre (desired to be JAVA_HOME dir I think) -
there's no jre in /usr hirearhy - should be for ex. /usr/lib/kaffe
or sth. like that (maybe /usr/lib/jre, but that can overlap with
others I think)

I may be wrong with sth. here, as the package was created as
"upstream-debianized" - so I don't have a diff between your and
debianized version and it can have some effect here.

> I'd be interested in hearing how well 1.0.7 runs ant.
quite good now, but not 100% success yet
it does the bootstrap it seems, but when it tries to use itself
to continue it compilation - it fails

with setup
CLASSPATH=/usr/jre/lib/rt.jar:/usr/jre/lib/rmi.jar:/usr/lib/tools.jar
JAVA_HOME=/usr/jre and tried /usr/lib too..
the previous error disappeared, now I am getting this:

/bin/sh bootstrap.sh
... Bootstrapping Ant Distribution
... Compiling Ant Classes
... Copying Required Files
... Building Ant Distribution
Buildfile: build.xml

prepare:
check_for_optional_packages:

build:
Created dir: /opt/media/build/ant-1.5/build/lib
Compiling 200 source files to /opt/media/build/ant-1.5/build/classes

file:/opt/media/build/ant-1.5/build.xml:565: Cannot use classic
compiler, as it is not available.  A common solution is to set the
environment variable JAVA_HOME to your jdk directory.

http://www.infozone-group.org/prowlerDocs/html/faqs.html says:
"...the ANT build environment needs access to the Java Compiler class
which is part of tools.jar in JDK 1.2 or greater. (to be found in
[java-home]/lib/tools.jar)"

I of course tried to set JAVA_HOME and CLASSPATH, but w/o results.
I think problem lies elsewhere.

that piece of build.xml is this:

    <javac srcdir="${java.dir}"
           destdir="${build.classes}"