[kaffe] Installation on Windows 2000

Nicholas Wourms nwourms at myrealbox.com
Wed Aug 7 06:55:24 PDT 2002

Dalibor Topic wrote:

>Hi Nicholas,
>
>[SNIP]
>Does that mean that you were able to fix them? kaffe's
>autoconf scripts are 1.4 based, I think and won't work
>on newer autoconf, so you might have to invest some
>time to port them to 1.5 first. It would be really
>nice if you could try to do that, and I believe that
>Jim would appreciate the patches. I don't speak the
>auto* languages yet :(

Unfortunately, a rather annoying side affect of cygwin is the constant
reprogramming of autotools to the latest versions due to the fact that
earlier autotools are hopelessly broke on cygwin.  Yes, I actually got
it working with autoconf 2.53b and automake 1.6.1 (If libtool is used, I
don't recall, then it would be libtool-1.4e).  The autotools are very
confusing at first due to the complete lack of readable, current
documention, so learning it is really trial/error/stfw...  I'll see what
I can cookup in terms of the patches...  No promises and it will take
*awhile*, since I was "cheating" a bit and put specific cygwin-only
stuff to fix issues I didn't feel like investing a lot of time in.

>>problem is how do you intend to bootstrap kaffe now
>>that it requires a
>>javac to build?   As for this issue, is it possible
>>

>If the included compiler+bootstrap classes don't work
>for you, use a different java compiler to compile
>class libraries to bytecode. In particular, comment
>out the line JIKES= in rebuildLib, and then run make
>JIKES="my java to bytecode compiler". Try jikes 1.13
>for example, newer versions may generate bad bytecode
>for kaffe's sources.

I know jikes is working on cygwin, I'll give that a shot

>Gcj does not work up to 3.1, I haven't tested 3.1.1
>yet. It will not compile legal java code in some kaffe
>classes.

We're using gcc-3.2_pre, maybe that'll work.

>You might also be able to bootstrap the compiler by
>putting a pregenerated Klasses.jar file in the
>libraries/javalib directory. I haven't tried that yet,
>though. If you do attempt it, please report it back to
>me so I can put it into FAQ.classlibrary-compile.

I guess I'll have to nose around in the autotools scripts to see how the
bootstrap process is done.  As I said before, I did this last month
prior to the bootstrap changeover, so I'm sure Jim has changed some things.

Still, I'd really like to get that thread issue resolved, oh well...

Cheers,
Nicholas