[kaffe] How to get Swig working? (java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError)

Jörn Willhöft devinfo at willhoeft.de
Sat Dec 21 13:55:43 PST 2002

Hi group,

I am new to Kaffe and have trouble to start my application which works fine
under Sun's VM.

Starting with Kaffe though, I always get NoClassDefFoundError exceptions. At
first I thought it is a classpath misconfiguration but now it occurs to me
that only classes extending or using Swing classes cannot be found.

I compiled kaffe-1.0.7 from source with no special parameters and tested it
on three different machines. Two of them SuSe 7.3 Linux and another on
WhiteDwarf Linux (based on Slackware). On all machines I get the same
effect.

This is what I get:

> kaffe com.xxx.yyy.zzz.Application
> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/xxx/yyy/zzz/display/MainFrame

MainFrame extends JFrame.
Simple Java programs without GUI seem to work just fine.

Kaffe documentation claims to fully support AWT and Swing. Do I have to
activate this somehow?

Thanks in advance for your support.

Cheers,
   Jörn Willhöft