[kaffe] How to get Swing working? (java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError)

Dalibor Topic robilad at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 22 05:48:35 PST 2002

--- Jim White <jim at pagesmiths.com> wrote:
> Jörn Willhöft wrote:
> > Starting with Kaffe though, I always get
> NoClassDefFoundError exceptions. At
> > first I thought it is a classpath misconfiguration
> but now it occurs to me
> > that only classes extending or using Swing classes
> cannot be found.
>
> I've not tried using Swing with Kaffe, but I'm
> thinking that what they
> mean is that Kaffe will work with the Swing
> implementations from Sun.
> I'm not sure why this is not in the FAQ, but you
> could try downloading
> JFC 1.1 and seeing if it will work:
>
> http://java.sun.com/products/jfc/download.html

That's the swing implementation that should definitely
work. If doesn't any longer, please send us a bug
report. Swing implementations from JDK 1.2 and above
require some yet unimplemented mathods in kaffe's
class library. If you want to work on getting swing
from JDK 1.4 to run on kaffe, for example, you should
try merging in the missing code from GNU Classpath, if
they have implemented it.

best regards,