[kaffe] Problems of Kaffe on mips-linux platform

Kim, Seong Beom sbkim at mail.marusys.com
Sun Dec 29 23:05:16 PST 2002

Dear Kaffe experts.

Because it is my first time to post message in this mailing list,
let me introduce a little bit.

Hello, my name is Seongbeom Kim, and I'm working for a digital television project
that requires Java virtual machine. I've chosen Kaffe for our virtual machine
because it is one of few VM solutions for mips-linux platform.

The specification of our system is...
Kaffe version:                   Kaffe 1.0.7
Reference board:            TeraLogic Cougar-L board
CPU:                                MIPS
OS:                                  Linux (kernel 2.4.17  monta vista linux RedHat 7.1)
AWT:                                QTE (QTE 3.0.3)
cross compiling with:       mips-linux-gcc (egcs-2.91.66)
configure option:              --target=mips-pc-linux-gnu --host=mips-pc-linux-gnu --build=mips-pc-linux-gnu
                                        --with-engine=intrp --with-threads=unix-pthreads
                                        --with-includes=/usr/mips-linux/include --with-libraries=/usr/mips-linux/lib

What I have done with this development is...
1. Test build on i386-linux-QTE platform: it had no problem at all with virtual frame buffer feature in embedded QT.
2. QTE test on mips-linux: I verified it with test programs.
3. Cross compiling for mips-linux-qte platform: build done, test compile & running for simple text based application done successfully.

The problems are...
1. When I try to running simple AWT example, the main thread hangs in Toolkit.createNative() and does not proceed.
The code in Toolkit.java>>>

static void createNative ( Component c ) {
 WMEvent e = null;

 synchronized ( Toolkit.class ) {
  // even if this could be done in a central location, we defer this
  // as much as possible because it might involve polling (for non-threaded
  // AWTs), slowing down the startup time
  if ( eventThread == null ) {
   startDispatch();
  }
 }

System.out.println( "startDispatch() done..." ); <<---------- does not print this message (hangs in startDispatch())

 // do we need some kind of a context switch ?
}

2. After some modifications in Java codes such as inserting debugging messages, there happens strange errors.

[root at target /root]# javac -v HelloWorld.java
[ start compilation in verbose mode ]
java.lang.VerifyError: In class java/io/PushbackReader$PushbackBuffer in method <init> with signature (Ljava/io/PushbackReader;Ljava/io/PushbackReader$1;I)V at pc 5: sp 7 not in range [4, 6]
        at java.io.PushbackReader.<init>(PushbackReader.java:27)
        at java.io.PushbackReader.<init>(PushbackReader.java:32)
        at at.dms.compiler.tools.antlr.extra.InputBuffer.<init>(InputBuffer.java:69)
        at at.dms.compiler.tools.antlr.extra.InputBuffer.<init>(InputBuffer.java:82)
        at at.dms.kjc.Main.parseFile(Main.java:325)
        at at.dms.kjc.Main.run(Main.java:147)
        at at.dms.kjc.Main.compile(Main.java:69)
        at at.dms.kjc.Main.main(Main.java:60)

This error is only solved when I remove entire Kaffe tree, re-install source, re-configure and re-make it.
'make distclean' cannot solve this problem.

Does anyone know about these problems?
Please help me, I'm in a really big trouble. :(

Thanks in advance.

Seong-beom Kim
Research Engineer
Marusys, Co. Ltd.