[kaffe] Problems of Kaffe on mips-linux platform

Kevin D. Kissell kevink at mips.com
Mon Dec 30 01:16:04 PST 2002

First, an unmodifled Kaffe.1.0.7 release source tree
will not give you a working MIPS version of Kaffe.
The necessary patches to the release sources should be in
ftp://ftp.paralogos.com/pub/kaffe/mips/kaffe-1.0.7.patch_kevink_021001
The changes were also merged with the Kaffe.org
CVS repository, so if you're working from development
sources, you should have them - along with all the
fun problems that come with working from development
sources.

Assuming you've got the right Kaffe sources,
I see a couple more potential problems.  One is that you
are using unix-pthreads instead of the Kaffe internal
"jthread" multithreading scheme.  There have been
problems with Linux/UNIX pthreads for MIPS in many
versions of the kernel and gnu libraries, and I have
avoided pthreads in all my MIPS/Linux work, to
avoid confusing the issue.  I would recommend
dropping the --with-threads configure option and
letting the build default to jthreads.

The other potential problem is that most MIPS/Linux
kernel sources up until very recently had problems
with context management during some exceptional
signal conditions that happen to turn up in Kaffe.
Most 2.4.17-level sources don't have the fixes, though
Monta Vista's just might.  If updating your
Kaffe sources and using jthreads doesn't fix things,
I would encourage you to get more up-to-date kernel
sources, either from ftp://ftp.mips.com/pub/linux/mips/
or from the CVS archive at linux-mips.org (which is
another development tree, with all the fun associated, etc.).
I actually rather doubt that this is your problem, since
in general one  needs to be doing floating-point operations
to see the problems, but if you're going to use Kaffe,
you will ultimately need those fixes.

When you say that you are testing your Kaffe build,
is this to say that all of the "make check" regression
tests run?  It took me a while to get all those to work
(i.e. to generate the patch above), but once they did,
all the AWT stuff I tried worked fine.  But I did not try
QT!

            Regards,

            Kevin K.