[kaffe] Problems of Kaffe on mips-linux platform

Dalibor Topic robilad at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 30 08:07:22 PST 2002

--- "Kim, Seong Beom" <sbkim at mail.marusys.com> wrote:
> 2. After some modifications in Java codes such as
> inserting debugging messages, there happens strange
> errors.
>
> [root at target /root]# javac -v HelloWorld.java
> [ start compilation in verbose mode ]
> java.lang.VerifyError: In class
> java/io/PushbackReader$PushbackBuffer in method
> <init> with signature

(Ljava/io/PushbackReader;Ljava/io/PushbackReader$1;I)V
> at pc 5: sp 7 not in range [4, 6]
>         at

java.io.PushbackReader.<init>(PushbackReader.java:27)
>         at

java.io.PushbackReader.<init>(PushbackReader.java:32)
>         at

at.dms.compiler.tools.antlr.extra.InputBuffer.<init>(InputBuffer.java:69)
>         at

at.dms.compiler.tools.antlr.extra.InputBuffer.<init>(InputBuffer.java:82)
>         at at.dms.kjc.Main.parseFile(Main.java:325)
>         at at.dms.kjc.Main.run(Main.java:147)
>         at at.dms.kjc.Main.compile(Main.java:69)
>         at at.dms.kjc.Main.main(Main.java:60)
>
> This error is only solved when I remove entire Kaffe
> tree, re-install source, re-configure and re-make
> it.
> 'make distclean' cannot solve this problem.
>

> Does anyone know about these problems?
> Please help me, I'm in a really big trouble. :(

I assume that you're using jikes with a version > 1.13
to compile kaffe's class library. You need to make
sure you use jikes 1.13. Kaffe's class library sources
trigger a bug in jikes >1.13 versions leading to the
verifier problems you are experiencing. Check out this
mail fr more information:
http://www.kaffe.org/pipermail/kaffe/2002-March/007730.html

The latest version of jikes should be o.k. too, but
you'd need to do some manual work in order to get it
to generate the type of class files kaffe can work
with. Jikes 1.18 generates Java 1.4 class files by
default, and they need some support methods kaffe
doesn't implement yet. My advice is to just use jikes
1.13, as that should just work.

best regards,