[kaffe] Implementing Kaffe with KDE Konqueror browser?

Dalibor Topic robilad at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 30 03:42:29 PDT 2002

Hi Peter,
--- Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster at Video2Video.Com> wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Jul 2002, Dalibor Topic wrote:
> > Could you elaborate some more on what you mean
> with "implement kaffe into KDE's Konqueror" ?
>
> What I meant was that the Konqueror browser that
> comes with the KDE window
> manager has a setup screen where you can put the
> command line and flags to
> where the JVM is on your OS.  I couldn't get it to
> work with just the full
> path to the kaffe binary :(

O.k. I tried with konqueror from KDE 2.2 and didn't
succeed, either. Looking at the kdejava directory of
the kde cvs server, and reading around a bit about how
KDE and konqueror bin to java, I think the deal is as
follows:

konqueror uses a separate KDE Java Applet Server
(KJAS) instance to run applets. KJAS is written in
java and does all the loading etc. A C++ Widget is
used to display the applet. As I currently don't have
KDE 3 installed, I can't tell you if it works with
that. If you have KDE3 and it still doesn't work, then
we'll need to see what's wrong.

What you can do:
* get the latest KDE source
* compile konqueror and kjas
* try running kjas on kaffe by hand and see if it
breaks
* if it does, complain here ;)
* if it doesn't, try to get it running in konqueror.

your other good bet would be to subscribe to kde-java
and talk to the kde-java developers there. They might
be able to tell you if they managed to have kaffe
working in konqueror, and if if they didn't, why it
failed. In any case, keep me updated.

Konqueror support should be trivial compared to
mozilla support, as you don't need to write a separate
plugin. You might need to hack on kjas, though. Kjas
from KDE 2.2 deliberately breaks on kaffe for me, as
it is assuming that kaffe can't do Java 1.2. The
source for KJAS has changed a bit since 2.2, so I
don't know if the current one works better. Test and
tell ;)

best regards,