[kaffe] bootclassloader vs. SystemClassLoader problems

Dalibor Topic robilad at yahoo.com
Fri May 3 07:56:23 PDT 2002

Hi Godmar,

--- Godmar Back <gback at cs.utah.edu> wrote:
> The current kaffe implements JDK 1.1 class loader
> semantics,
> because some legacy applications relied on that.
>
> I think it should be okay now to implement 1.2
> semantics
> with application-specific classloaders and separate
> bootclasspath
> and application classpaths, but you will need a good
> plan for that
> and you need to understand what you're doing.

I just wanted to have Packages in so I could implement
access control in reflection, but then it all kind of
grew in all directions :)

Currently I'm stuck with my kaffe.lang.ExecClass using
the SystemClassLoader to load classes, but the loaded
classes eventually end up having null (i.e. boot class
loader) as their class loader

Which in turn means that all classes loaded by them
will use the boot class loader, and not the system
one. Without using the system class loader, I am cut
off from the package information.

Is there a safe point during class loading when I can
"reset" the class->loader field to the
SystemClassLoader?

> Also, you should keep possible future support for
> JSR-121 [1] in mind.

Thanks, I'll look into it.

best regards,