[kaffe] Sun classes

Dalibor Topic robilad at yahoo.com
Tue May 21 07:37:53 PDT 2002

Hi Jukka,

http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/status.html#java.awt
> :
> "Most 1.1 classes have been written and a few 1.2
> classes have been
> implemented. There is a mostly working GTK+ peer
> implementation. The AWT
> classes don't work out of the box at the moment.
> Work is currently
> underway to merge the libgcj and Classpath classes
> and get the peers
> working with gcj. See the mailinglist archives for
> progress."

Thanks for clearing it up. I declare the nit-picking
contest to be over, you win ;)

> I agree they have the groundwork laid, though the
> bulk of the work in Java
> implementatiosn tends to be testing & ensuring it
> works the same as the
> existing implementations, because the API JavaDoc
> makes for a real poor
> spec in general. Luckily Kaffe has already done most

Oh yes. Especially Sun's AWT API spec occasionally
goes between not-there and not-useful.

> of this, and the
> outcome with AWT programs is very close to that of
> 1.1. It even
> replicates the same incompatibilities to newer API
> ;) By the way, Java2D
> is 1.2 classes, ofcourse.

Same incompatibilities ? Could you elaborate ?

Regarding the quality of the outcome: it depends on
your test programs. Last time I ran the tests from the
Java Class Libraries books, I got quite a few
interesting deviations. But I decided to wait until
AWT fixes from pocketlinux get merged in before I make
any efforts in that direction.