[kaffe] Sun classes

Jukka Santala jsantala at tml.hut.fi
Tue May 21 01:33:51 PDT 2002

On Mon, 20 May 2002, Dalibor Topic wrote:
> > Last I checked, Classpath & gcj didn't even have
> > working AWT, so I kinda
> 2d). I don't know if they have the whole thing
> running, but at least a good deal of the foundation
> seems to be there.

Well, it's nit-picking, but...
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/status.html#java.awt :
"Most 1.1 classes have been written and a few 1.2 classes have been
implemented. There is a mostly working GTK+ peer implementation. The AWT
classes don't work out of the box at the moment. Work is currently
underway to merge the libgcj and Classpath classes and get the peers
working with gcj. See the mailinglist archives for progress."

I agree they have the groundwork laid, though the bulk of the work in Java
implementatiosn tends to be testing & ensuring it works the same as the
existing implementations, because the API JavaDoc makes for a real poor
spec in general. Luckily Kaffe has already done most of this, and the
outcome with AWT programs is very close to that of 1.1. It even
replicates the same incompatibilities to newer API ;) By the way, Java2D
is 1.2 classes, ofcourse.

 -Jukka Santala