[kaffe] The trouble with Klasses.jar

Jukka Santala jsantala at tml.hut.fi
Wed May 29 01:23:16 PDT 2002

On Tue, 28 May 2002, Dalibor Topic wrote:
> the C libs, we need an updated klasses.jar. What other
> sorts of dependencies exist between klasses.jar and
> the rest of the VM that would make recompilation of
> klasses.jar necessary ?

I think there's a simple heuristic: When make Klasses fails ;) Ofcourse,
this assumes it's ensured the "bootstrap" Klasses.jar isn't used for
anything else than that build. I think the C lib changes shouldn't break
anything, unless they touch some of the classes actually used. Ofcourse,
this is not to say that trying to minimize the bootstrap class-set isn't a
good idea, I'm just wondering how you'd do it in reality. I'm not sure
there are any programs that would do it automatically, at least if
reflection is involved.

> the optimized versions should be for testing purposes
> only: It is hard enough to trace back bugs to jikes or

Or maybe for release-use only; at least then you know any errors are
likely to have been introduced by the optimizer ;)

 -Jukka Santala