[kaffe] The trouble with Klasses.jar

Dalibor Topic robilad at yahoo.com
Wed May 29 02:01:32 PDT 2002

Hi Jukka,

--- Jukka Santala <jsantala at tml.hut.fi> wrote:
> On Tue, 28 May 2002, Dalibor Topic wrote:
> > the C libs, we need an updated klasses.jar. What
> other
> > sorts of dependencies exist between klasses.jar
> and
> > the rest of the VM that would make recompilation
> of
> > klasses.jar necessary ?
>
> I think there's a simple heuristic: When make
> Klasses fails ;) Ofcourse,

Hey, right now we have "when Klasses fails and people
start reporting lots of bugs" ;)

> actually used. Ofcourse,
> this is not to say that trying to minimize the
> bootstrap class-set isn't a
> good idea, I'm just wondering how you'd do it in
> reality. I'm not sure
> there are any programs that would do it
> automatically, at least if
> reflection is involved.

bloat has an option to optimize the "closure" of a
class. The java.* and kaffe.* subset of the closure of
at.dms.kjc.Main is the list of classes required to
compile full klasses.jar using kjc.jar (in theory).

In practice there is reflection, and that will require
some manual work (test, fix what breaks, test again
;), unless someone finds a tool that can handle
reflection, too.

I'll try it and post the results.