[kaffe] Optimization?

Jukka Santala jsantala at tml.hut.fi
Wed May 29 06:24:41 PDT 2002

On Wed, 29 May 2002, Dalibor Topic wrote:
> The feedback framework sounds nice, although I thought
> about a simpler implementation based on a classloader
> that inlines small methods before defining a class. It

This is rather bad form for embedded environments; typically there are
thousands (at the very least!) of small routine calls for this and that,
which practically never get taken. So we'd be talking of hundreds of k's
of more memory used. Not to mention all those just a bit longer methods
that get called a million times. I agree it's simpler, but I wonder if it
even result sin overall improvement, what with all the cache- and
garbage-collection overhead, and missed opportunities for optimization. On
the other hand, if anybody wants to take a shot at it, why not ;)

 -Jukka Santala