[kaffe] Qt AWT backend tips

Dalibor Topic robilad at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 29 15:32:36 PST 2002

Hi,

I've been playing a little with the Qt based AWT
backend. It seems to crash with a null pointer
exception when it's not configured with
--enable-debug. So make sure you configure it with
--enable-debug for now.

I've got the Qt2 compilation patches from Jim Huang
adapted to work with the current version. I'll check
them in over the weekend. That would in theory allow
people on platforms where Qt2 is available to run
kaffe with the AWT based backend. I assume that would
be most beneficial for people on Win32 using the free
version of the Qt2 toolkit.

The Qt backend obviously still has a couple of
problems, and could use some effort to clean it up and
polish it. Volunteers are more than welcome, and I
hope that you'll find hacking the Qt based backend
much easier than hacking the Xlib based one. Given the
amount of interest this backend has received on the
list, I hope we can fix the remaining bugs together
quickly.

I've also tried to update the libtool files to version
1.4.3, and the change looks good so far. If it
survives my tests, that patch will be included over
the weekend too.

best regards,