[Kaffe] Compiling Kaffe without gcc?

Jim Pick jim at kaffe.org
Fri Oct 11 14:45:21 PDT 2002

On Fri, 2002-10-11 at 14:08, Jose M. Gomez wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Before launching my questions I'd like to thank and congratulate everyone
> involved in Kaffe. Great work!

Thanks!

> Now, the inevitable questions. I've just started working on making a port of
> Kaffe to Minix. Yes, I'm afraid it is Minix. It is for my last year's project
> in the university and is a first approximation for a port to DSP processors.
> Anyway, moving the source tree to Minix and running configure to start seeing
> what would it scream for, there was a message saying that kaffe cannot build
> without gcc. Looking in the mailing list archives I've found some references
> to compiling Kaffe in VC and Borland C, but I don't know to which extent that
> works and they were from the 98 or 99. So, I'd like to know why/what is
> specific to gcc or is likely to give severe problems if tried to compile with
> an ANSI C compiler, like the one Minix has and not only because of Minix, but
> because the C compiler in the TI development environment is not gcc either.
> Positive references of compiling Kaffe without gcc, specially on embedded
> systems, are more than welcomed for raising my morale and giving me some
> peace of mind :).

In the past, people have compiled it using MS Visual C++, so I think the
gcc dependencies are somewhat minimal.  I personally would prefer to
keep it that way.

> By the way, a suggestion after browsing all the mailing list archives.
> Unfortunately I don't have a clue about this, but would it be possible to get
> some kind of searching mechanism working?

Google seems to work pretty well.  If somebody knows something that
integrates nicely with mailman/pipermail, I'll gladly install it.

> Thanks in advance for your help.

No problem!

Cheers,

 - Jim