[kaffe] long long type

Kevin D. Kissell kevink at mips.com
Mon Oct 21 05:34:15 PDT 2002

> The compiler I'm working on (ACK in Minix) doesn't support the long long data
> type. This is quite upsetting because it makes the project of porting Kaffe
> kind of difficult. Has anybody found the same problem when porting Kaffe to
> any platform or this is just one of the consecuences of not using gcc?

I don't know ACK/Minix, so I have to ask what may be a
stupid question: Is the issue that you have no 64-bit data
type whatever, or that your compiler gives it a different
name (int64 or whatever)?  If it's a question of nomenclature,
it could be fixed by doing something that arguably should
have been done to begin with for portability, which is to
*always* use synthetic (typedeffed) types, particularly
 for 64-bit data.  If you have no 64-bit type whatever,
on the other hand, there would be non-trivial engineering
work to do to support Java's 64-bit data and operations.

            Kevin K.