[kaffe] Question::how much memory does kaffe need to run?

Jim Pick jim at kaffe.org
Mon Oct 21 11:51:35 PDT 2002

The amount of memory kaffe uses depends on the application, and which
libraries you use, plus the operating system you run it on.  You'll
probably have the most luck with it on devices that have 8MB of RAM or
more - but if you're willing to put the work in, it could be made to
live in less space (depending on the application).  As it currently
stands, it doesn't really have the options to configure it to compete
with CLDC style virtual machines (which get below 200k).  Transvirtual,
while it was still alive, had a lightweight AWT implementation that
could run on a framebuffer, which had a ROM size of about 200k or so.
That hasn't been merged into the kaffe.org version of kaffe yet, but I
hope someday that it will.

Generally speaking, it's really hard to give general answers to such
questions, but I think you'll find the memory consumption is probably
comparable to other CDC-class JVMs out there.  The nice thing is that it
is open source, so you can easily tailor it to chop out whatever bits
you don't want.

Cheers,

- Jim

p.s. I'd prefer it if you could refrain from sending HTML formatted
emails to the mailing list - many mail clients that people use in the
free software community can't read them...