[kaffe] Patch: http proxy correction

Dalibor Topic robilad at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 25 01:37:09 PDT 2002

Hi Jukka,

--- Jukka Santala <jsantala at morphine.tml.hut.fi>
wrote:
> Well, this proves nobody actually uses Kaffe with
> proxy for HTTP
> implementations ;) My last patch to match its
> behaviour with Sun's
> behaviour unfortunately broke the proxy support; it
> did open a socket to
> the proxy, but then nonetheless use the proxyless
> connection. I tried to
> think of a more elegant way to do it, but couldn't
> come up with one, so
> here's the straightforward patch.

thanks, I checked it in.

> Proxy authenticiation... Is there anythign we can do
> about sun.util.Base64
> or whatever? Kaffe has its own implementation, but
> apparently can't be
> named the same.

Sun says one should not use their sun.* or com.sun.*
classes directly. In my opinion good style would be to
use reflection to figure out if there is a
sun.util.Base64 class and eventually to invoke its
methods using reflection as well, to avoid a compile
time dependency.

I think one should use some other implementation of
Base64 in code that's supposed to be portable accross
different Java versions/implementations. Or push Sun
to make it a documented java.util. class ;)

best regards,