[kaffe] alias for US-ASCII (cvs diff patch included)

Dalibor Topic robilad at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 30 06:08:40 PDT 2002

Hi Vesa,

--- Vesa Kaihlavirta <vpkaihla at cc.jyu.fi> wrote:
> Howdy, I've got a simple patch (from the output of
> cvs diff -u) here
> that adds US-ASCII to be an alias for ASCII in
> java.io.ConverterAlias.
> US-ASCII is the real name for the encoding, and all
> the other VM's
> accept it.

thanks for the patch. It should be checked in as an
obvious fix.

Could you take a look at
http://www.iana.org/assignments/character-sets and add
the missing aliases for other character sets, too? It
should be quite trivial, although a little boring.

The best thing would be to have a parser for the
character-sets file, that generates the alias
information automatically. The charset file format is
rather simple:
Name: <charset name> <[optional reference info]>
MIBenum: <a short for MIBenum>
Source: <a string for the source of the definition>
<optional sequence of aliases of the form
Alias: <a string for the aliased name>

sounds easy, doesn't it?