[kaffe] Gilgul 1.0.7 released

Dalibor Topic robilad at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 3 04:18:01 PST 2003

Hi Fabio, Hi Jon,

--- Gilgul Maintainer <gilgul at joint.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to anounce the "new" version of the gilgul
> virtual machine,
> which is based on kaffe-1.0.7.

cool, congratulations on a new release.

> Gilgul is an compatible extension to the Java
> language,
> which provides means for unanticipated software
> evolution.
> Head to
> http://javalab.cs.uni-bonn.de/research/gilgul/ for
> more information and download.

I'm impressed by the atomic object reference rerouting
feature. I think it would be interesting to see some
colaboration between your work and Jon's. BDBJ [1] is
a Java debugger based on kaffe that allows to step
*backwards* through code.

So picture a combination of both: an ueber-debugger
that allows you to find the bug, step back until you
find the offending statement, and to replace the buggy
instance with a corrected version. That could bring a
HotSwap [2] capability to BDBJ, and later, kaffe, if
we implement JVMDI and friends based on BDBJ.

> We would be grateful for your feedback, be it
> questions, bug reports,
> or advices. (especially on tweaking the build system
> to the end of
> getting rid of ./gilgul_install and proper make
> [test|check])

I've tried to download it, but the web server says:
You don't have permission to access
/research/gilgul/downloads/gvm-1.0.7-0.2.tar.gz on
this server.

the gilgul web page states that your compiler, ggc,
doesn't work on kaffe. Could you elaborate on what's
missing/broken?

> I'd like to thank you for the help you gave me
> during the development,
> and of course for kaffe itself. Keep up the good
> work.

Thanks for using kaffe for your research.

If you've fixed any bugs in kaffe's core or libraries
while you were working on Gilgul, it would be nice if
you could post the patches with some Changelogs.

[1]
http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/home/jjc/bdbj/bdbj-1.2.1/dl.html
[2]
http://java.sun.com/products/hotspot/docs/whitepaper/Java_Hotspot_v1.4.1/Java_HSpot_WP_v1.4.1_1002_3.html#hot