[kaffe] Gilgul 1.0.7 released

Pascal Costanza costanza at iai.uni-bonn.de
Fri Apr 4 08:47:01 PST 2003

Dalibor Topic wrote:
> Hi Fabio, Hi Jon,
>
> --- Gilgul Maintainer <gilgul at joint.org> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I'd like to anounce the "new" version of the gilgul
>>virtual machine,
>>which is based on kaffe-1.0.7.
>

> cool, congratulations on a new release.
>

>>Gilgul is an compatible extension to the Java
>>language,
>>which provides means for unanticipated software
>>evolution.
>>Head to
>>http://javalab.cs.uni-bonn.de/research/gilgul/ for
>>more information and download.
>

> I'm impressed by the atomic object reference rerouting
> feature. I think it would be interesting to see some
> colaboration between your work and Jon's. BDBJ [1] is
> a Java debugger based on kaffe that allows to step
> *backwards* through code.

Stepping backwards indeed sounds cool.

> So picture a combination of both: an ueber-debugger
> that allows you to find the bug, step back until you
> find the offending statement, and to replace the buggy
> instance with a corrected version. That could bring a
> HotSwap [2] capability to BDBJ, and later, kaffe, if
> we implement JVMDI and friends based on BDBJ.

Yes, this sounds extremely useful. But please note the following:

+ HotSwap has a different granularity - at least in the current version
of HotSwap, you can replace a single method of a class at once such that
all instances of a class are affected immediately. In Gilgul, you can
only affect one instance at a time. (It depends on the context what is
more useful - both approaches have their advantages and disadvantages.)

Maybe a combination of Gilgul and Guarana could be useful in order to
replace metaobjects at runtime?!?

>>We would be grateful for your feedback, be it
>>questions, bug reports,
>>or advices. (especially on tweaking the build system
>>to the end of
>>getting rid of ./gilgul_install and proper make
>>[test|check])
>

> I've tried to download it, but the web server says:
> You don't have permission to access
> /research/gilgul/downloads/gvm-1.0.7-0.2.tar.gz on
> this server.

Yes, that's broken. We are going to fix that soon.

> the gilgul web page states that your compiler, ggc,
> doesn't work on kaffe. Could you elaborate on what's
> missing/broken?

The Gilgul compiler is based on the original Java compiler by Sun. I
don't know the reason why it doesn't work on kaffe - I guess there are
some libraries missing. This wasn't important to us yet.