[kaffe] Where can I find Biss-AWT?

Dalibor Topic robilad at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 13 01:56:01 PDT 2003

--- Clemens Eisserer <linuxhippy at web.de> wrote:
> Hi again...
>
> >There are actually some java graphical toolkits (Zawal) that are Swing like
> and
> >available under free software licensing terms. If you want to look into
> >extending stuff, then creating a javax.swing wrapper for Zawal might be a
> >better plan than to try to extend Biss AWT. Especially since Zawal is
> actively
> >maintained ;)
> >
> Hmm, or maybe extending zawal would also be a fine idea ;-)
>
> Could you give me a link, google didnt find anything (maybe it is
> written different to "zawal"..

I'm sory, I've misspelt it. It should have been Zaval ...
http://www.zaval.org/products/lwvcl/

> Could you answer me some questions:
>
> 1.) Does it run without the requirement of a native toolkit?

yes.

> 2.) Does it work without an underlaying AWT-Implementation (like biss)?

I don't know, but I don't think so.

> 3.) Where can I find it?

http://www.zaval.org/products/lwvcl/

> 4.) Is is faster than swing? (As you know I really dont linke
> swing-design)...

According to the developers, it is fast and lean. I haven't seen any benchmark
data comparing it to swing.

Since you are really interested in the whole java+some native toolkit thing,
check out some native toolkit bindings for java. They might be what you want,
allwing you to program straight Qt or GTK+ from java.