[kaffe] Kaffe JIT on Alpha

Kapil Vaswani kapil at csa.iisc.ernet.in
Tue Apr 22 12:43:02 PDT 2003

Hi Dalibor,

Thanks for your response. I actually managed to compile rt.jar on an x86
and use it to proceed in the build. This has atleast allowed me to try
and understand the problem.

There is something I came across during debugging the code generated by
the JIT. Here is a sample prolog generated by the jit.

0:      lda     gp,0(pv)
4:      lda     sp,0(sp)
8:      stq     ra,0(sp)
24:     stq     fp,56(sp)
48:     lda     fp,0(sp)

My question is: shouldnt the stack pointer be decremented with the
framesize before various registers are saved? The relevent piece of code
I attach below seems to not update sp at all. I find this to be the case
on mips as well. The push instructions on x86 take care of updating the
sp there. Or am I missing something here??

        /* Calling Standard for Alpha Systems
         * 3.2.6.1    Entry Code Sequence
         * 2. If stack space is allocated (PDSC_RPD_FRAME_SIZE is not
0), set
         *    register SP to SP - PDSC_RPD_FRAME_SIZE.
         *    After any necessary calculations and stack limit checks, this
         *    step must be completed in exactly one instruction that
modifies
         *    SP.  This instruction must be the one specified by
         *    PDSC_RPD_SP_SET.  */

        alpha_jit_info.sp_set = CODEPC / 4;
        L->type = Lnegframe|Labsolute|Lgeneral;
        L->at = (uintp)CODEPC;