[kaffe] Kaffe as the main JVM

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Wed Aug 13 06:29:02 PDT 2003

jerome moliere wrote:
> Hi,

Salut Jerome,

> I saw the X dependency from the kaffe code & sounds complicated to have
> such layer on windows !!!

yes;) there is Xfree for cygwin, but you already ruled Cygwin out.

In theory, there is also a port of kaffe's AWT to MFC in the
libraries/clib/awt/win32 directory. I have no idea if it works.

> but the other port , requiring  QT is not much more easy to use because
> this layer has a cost & I'm not sure I can afford a such cost.

If you mean licensing costs, Qt2 us available free of charge for Win32
systems under a license allowing non-commercial use, see [1]. But
looking more closely, I see that they have clarified the implications
for GPLd projects linking to it. So you wouldn't be allowed to link
kaffe to it.

Your best bet (beside buying a Qt Windows license) is then using (and
most probably fixing) kaffe's win32-MFC based AWT implementation.

> In fact, my problem is a bandwith one, we must offer a solution
> requiring the smallest download as possible....

hm, with the current kaffe in CVS on i386-linux, with sound enabled, and
Xlib based AWT, installed using 'make install-strip', and after removing
includes, man pages, the kjc compiler, etc, I can put the installation
on a zip archive of 3051518 bytes. You could probably shave off another
300k by removing the debugging symbols from the java libraries.

If your customer's applets don't use any of Java 1.4 or 1.3 features,
you can remove those classes from the class library (sound, jaxp, etc.),
giving you another big decrease in installation size. A bare bones
minimal rt.jar is around 350k (without AWT or applet support). The
full-featured rt.jar is around 2.4M. So there is some room for trimming
it down if you are sure that you won't need everything.

Note that the numbers on a MSVC++ (or mingw) compiled win32 installation
are going to be different for the C/C++ binaries. How different I can't
say, as I haven't built kaffe using MSVC++ (or mingw) myself.

> In fact what about the size of the lightest bundle : VM + QT ?( on windows)
> we should deliver a solution with asize < 2Mb ?

that could be possible, if you don't need things like JAXP, Sound,
javax.* packages, etc.

[1] http://www.trolltech.com/download/qt/noncomm.html