[kaffe] GNU classpath and AWT

Helmer Krämer hkraemer at freenet.de
Fri Aug 15 08:25:02 PDT 2003

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 17:50:16 +0100 (BST)
James Simmons <jsimmons at infradead.org> wrote:

Hi James,

> > I'm not aware of anybody working on porting the Classpath AWT, although
> > I think Dalibor is quite active in moving the other parts of Classpath
> > into Kaffe.  We've already got several AWTs (X11, Qt, Win32), so another
> > one is always welcome, I think.  I really haven't played with Kaffe's
> > AWTs much yet.
>
> I have been looking into it. Note the classpath stuff is very different
> from the current kaffe AWT implementation. It would break the current AWT
> support. So I have to port the current stuff to the Classpath format. This
> will take some time.

i think porting kaffe's current implementation to the classpath
format as you've called it will basically involve creating a set
of lightweight peers in some kaffe.awt.whatever package and move
all the drawing from the widgets in java.awt into the different
peers afterwards? And if so, how would this break the current
AWT support? It will be totally different, yes, but we wouldn't
loose any of the supported backends, would we?

Greetings,
Helmer