[kaffe] setting up tomcat 4.1.27 on kaffe

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Fri Dec 5 18:02:01 PST 2003

Hi Ram,

kalyan ram wrote:
> Hai
>      I am using kaffe-1.1.2 and tomcat 4.1.27.I made
> the fix suggested in conf/web.xml.The error i am
> getting when i type in the browser
> http://localhost:8080 is "could not connect to host
> localport(port 8080)".My environmental variables are :

I doubt that's the error message you get, as it says 'localport'.

> export
> CLASSPATH=/usr/local/kaffe/jre/lib/rt.jar:/usr/local/kaffe/lib/kjc.jar
> export CATALINA_HOME=/opt/tomcat-4/bin
> export PATH=/usr/local/kaffe/bin:$PATH:$CATALINA_HOME
> export JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/kaffe
> export JAVA_OPTS=-mx256M
> I also copied struts_legacy.jar in
> $CATALINA_HOME/server/lib.
>
> what am i missing?I am really struggling to make
> tomcat work in kaffe.

I'm using kaffe from CVS, tomcat 4.1.29. I didn't patch conf/web.xml
this time around, I added -Dbuild.compiler=kjc to JAVA_OPTS, so that it
looks like this

export JAVA_OPTS="-mx256M -Dbuild.compiler=kjc"

my JAVA_HOME is set to where I installed kaffe.

See screenshot at http://www.kaffe.org/~robilad/tomcat-4.1.29-screenshot.png

could you try running tomcat with bin/catalina.sh run, and report back
if there were any errors? If that fails, I'm often on IRC [1] so we can
try to debug it together.

[1] #kaffe on irc.freenode.org