[kaffe] Re: Kaffe 1.1.3 "Development" Release available for download

Jim Pick jim at kaffe.org
Sun Dec 7 19:03:02 PST 2003

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 12:54:06 +1100
Tony Wyatt <wyattaw at optushome.com.au> wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
> On  8/12/2003, you wrote:
>
> > As this is a development release, it is essentially a snapshot of
> > what's happening in CVS, with limited testing.  Even though this is
> > not a production release, it contains a lot of improvements over
> > 1.0.7, which was release over half a year ago.  I anticipate that most
> > people will have less trouble with this release.
> >
> Please DO update that text some time. It looks as though it hasn't been
> changed since last year (two releases ago).

Yep, I'm guilty of cut-and-pasting text in the announcement.  :-)

Any suggestions on what to say?  I sort of want to tell people that the
1.1.x releases are probably going to be better than the 1.0.7 release,
but they haven't gone throught the testing that should go into a
production release.  I guess that does sound somewhat conflicted -- the
best solution for that is to put out a new production release, which we
will do next year.

At that time, we can discuss accelerating the production release cycle,
which would be nice.

I think we should do one more development release (1.1.4) in about 2
months, and then we should do a production release next.  I think now
would be a good time to start discussing what the production release
should consist of, and what parts of it we should consider production
ready code.  I imagine that we can designate a set of APIs and platforms
we "support", and we will do maintenence releases to the production
release in order to fix bugs in those areas.

Cheers,

 - Jim