[kaffe] Kaffe 1.1.3 "Development" Release available for download

Jim Pick jim at kaffe.org
Mon Dec 8 15:41:02 PST 2003

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 17:13:40 +0100
Dalibor Topic <robilad at kaffe.org> wrote:

> Jim Pick wrote:
>
> >>But who are Nihonsoft?
> >
> > They're the first people to bite and donate $50 via PayPal to the
> > California Community Colocation Project (CCCP) to sponsor December.  I
> > thought I'd drop a blurb into the announcement to say thanks, and,
> > because I want to encourage more people to sponsor the site for a month.
>
> Thank you, Nihonsoft!

I've just been informed that Nihonsoft doesn't have the best reputation
in Japan in the free software community, and may be involved in some
activities that violate the GPL.  I don't know the whole story, since I
can't read Japanese.  I certainly didn't know this when I accepted their
offer of sponsorship -- I thought they were just an average software
company over in Japan that wanted to express their support for the
project.

I set up the sponsorship program in the first place in the hope that we
could tap into some of the goodwill out there, and to try to keep the
project from getting too dependent on anybody.

They've already made the donation.  I feel somewhat obligated to honor
the $50 donation and keep the blurb that they've sponsored the site for
the month in place.  I'd just like to make it clear that I, or the
project, don't necessarily endorse anybody or any company that
participates in the sponsorship program.

Needless to say, I'm somewhat embarrassed now.

Cheers,

 - Jim