[kaffe] kaffe is not compiling on cygwin

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Tue Dec 9 08:35:04 PST 2003

Dalibor Topic wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Jim Pick wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 05:15:48 -0800 (PST)
>> Michael Franz <mvfranz at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>

>>> --- Michael Nascimento Santos <mister__m at hotmail.com>

>>> When was the last time cygwin was supported?  I was
>>> looking at this the other day and thought it was funny
>>> that I got this error.  Was support stopped or did the
>>> build somehow change?
>>

>> Yep, Kaffe is broken on Cygwin.
>>   http://www.kaffe.org/pipermail/kaffe/2003-November/044378.html
>>
>> There has been work done on Cygwin support in the past, but I'm not sure
>> what is a good version to work with.  I did get it to compile and run
>> some stuff around the time of the 1.0.7 release, with the interpreter
>> only, but it failed a whole lot of regression tests.   I'm sure it
>> worked better at other times.
>>
>> We sort of need somebody to "adopt" the port, and try to fix it.
>> Volunteers?
>>
>> It's definitely something I want to see happen, I'll probably even do it
>> myself someday, since I actually care about Windows somewhat (I
>> occasionally play games on it, and my family uses it).  Actually, I'd
>> like to see a mingw32 port working as well -- I did one back at
>> Transvirtual with their in-house version of Kaffe.  Keep in mind, my
>> timetable is pretty relaxed, so that may mean it'll be a year before I
>> cycle around to it. :-)
>

> I've got a patch that fixed the build for Cygwin *before* the change
> that broke all systems without signal context handling for good posted
> here:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/kaffe@kaffe.org/msg02802.html
>
> though I don't think I actually checked it in.

I've played with Cygwin the last couple of days. I've discovered tha
haven't checked the patch in, so I'll check in an updated version soon.
This doesn't mean that I've got Cygwin support working, it just means
that I'm fixing build issues as I encounter them. Unfortunately, it
takes ages for Cygwin to build kaffe on my p3-600 with win98, and some
of the configure checks seem to be able to put win98 in a weird state.

> With respect to fixing the the build errors on platforms where we don;t
> have access to the exception/signalling information I proposed to get
> rid of the EXCEPTIONFRAME call here:
> http://www.kaffe.org/pipermail/kaffe/2003-August/043433.html
>
> There wasn't much discussion, and I don't know if it would actually
> work. But it may be worth a try to try defining EXCEPTIONFRAME away as
> it is done in kaffe/kaffevm/systems/unix-jthreads/signal.c for the
> interpreter.

Which is what I intend to try.