[kaffe] Porting KAFFE on XScale PXA255 - Found a bug???

Gérard Basler gerard.basler at cinerent.com
Sun Dec 21 15:57:01 PST 2003

Hi!

I disabled the jit now. And configured as follows:
KAFFEH=/usr/local/kaffe/bin/kaffeh CC=arm-linux-gcc NM=arm-linux-nm
AR=arm-linux-ar ../kaffe-1.1.3/configure --host=arm-linux
--build=i686-linux --with-rt-jar=/tmp/rt.jar --enable-pure-java-math
--with-threads=unix-jthreads --without-x --prefix=/mnt/cf/kaffe
--enable-debug --with-engine=intrp

Then i tried to start the helloworld program but it crashed:

~ # kaffe helloworld
Internal error: caught an unexpected exception.
Please check your CLASSPATH and your installation.
java/lang/NullPointerException
Aborted

I've found a post concerning the same problem:
http://www.kaffe.org/pipermail/kaffe/2003-June/042740.html

I did as told:
/mnt/cf # ./sp_offset
#define SP_OFFSET       20

After I've recompiled kaffe with the modified constant (in
/config/arm/linux/md.h) I could run the helloworld program!

I doubt that 20 is the correct value (shouldn't it be smaller).
Anyway what's the meaning of this constant?

BTW: I used gcc 3.3.2. Maybe that's the problem.
But I can't build a 2.95 toolchain. (configure is confused about version
numbers)

Regards,

Gérard