[kaffe] Kaffe and Mac OS X

Dalibor Topic robilad at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 3 09:03:02 PST 2003

Hallo Michael,

--- Michael Franz <mvfranz at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What is the status of this port?  In the
> documentation
> I have found, it says that it compiles, but does not
> run.  Is this still the case?

It hasn't seen much work in the kaffe tree. The
RELEASE-NOTES from 1.0.7 says:
* PowerPC / Mac OS X

  Tested Version: 1.0.7 (Final)
  Configuration: --with-engine=intrp --with-staticlib
                 --with-staticbin --with-staticvm
  OS Version: 10.1
  Hardware: Apple iBook 500Mhz
  Compiled with: Apple Computer, Inc. version
gcc-934.3, based on
                 gcc version 2.95.2
  Results: Compiles, 6 of 114 tests failed.
  Reported by: Jim Pick

  Tested Version: 1.0.7 (Final)
  Configuration: Default (intrp)
  OS Version: 10.1
  Compiled with: Apple Computer, Inc. version
gcc-934.3, based on
                 gcc version 2.95.2
  Results: Compiles, 112 of 115 tests failed.
           (actually, I suspect that the 3 that passed
are false positives,
            I need to check the regression testing
script)
  Reported by: Jim Pick

I don't know the status of the current version from
CVS, but it would be interesting to hear about it if
you have some time to check if it works.

> I have got it to compile on Darwin 5.x/x86 but not
> Darwin 5.x/ppc.  When running a class the following
> error happens:
> Dumping live threads:
> `main' tid 0x71a040, status SUSPENDED flags
> NOSTACKALLOC DONTSTOP
>  blocked at 0x757b40 (0x71a040->|)
> Deadlock: all threads blocked on internal events
> Abort

First, what version are you running? What engine
(intrp, jit, jit3)? Is that on Darwin/i386? So you
ported kaffe to Darwin/i386, right? Could you post the
patches, please? ;)

Then, could you post the result of make check ? Do all
the regression tests fail in the same way?

> I have not experience with Kaffe and thus do not
> know
> if this is a simple fix or requires a lot of
> research
> to even understand what this means.

It probably means that there is a deadlock on the main
thread. You should configure kaffe with debugging
support enabled, read FAQ/FAQ.debugging and post a
stack trace. Preferably, you should configure it to
use the interpreter engine and post the backtrace from
btInt.

> I would like to get this to work, but I have limited
> time and need pointers as to what to look at or
> where.

The JanosVM 0.8.0 includes some fixes for
powerpc-darwin and a jit3 port. You should get in
touch with Tim Stack in order to see what needs to be
done to merge that code with the kaffe.org tree. See
http://www.kaffe.org/pipermail/kaffe/2002-July/008662.html
for more information.

best regards,