[kaffe] picky patch

gonzo Robert.N.Gonzalez at williams.edu
Thu Feb 6 11:41:01 PST 2003

Hi Dalibor and Tim,

> > to avoid confusing the compiler, in my working copy
> > of kaffe i've renamed
> > the methods in code-analyze.[ch] analyzeMethod,
> > analyzeBasicBlock, etc.,
> > and every time i upgrade to a newer version of CVS i
> > have to patch the
> > names.
>
> Sounds o.k. to me to rename the methods if they don't
> perform verification at all. But before I check it in,
> I'd like to see class-analyze.[ch] from JanosVM merged
> into the kaffe CVS tree.

at the moment code-analyze.c does actually perform enough verification to
ensure the consistency of the bytecode.  things like making sure the max
size of the operand stack and locals are never violated, and it also
appears to do basic type checking (ie - making sure you don't use iload_0
when local 0 is holding a reference).  it doesn't do type checking and
lots of other stuff a verifier has to take care of, though (if it did, i
wouldn't have written my own ;) ).

once the actual verifier is done, i'm going to take a closer look at
code-analyze's functions to see what can be stripped out if the bytecode
is known to be verfied.  that is, it would be nice if i could leave those
files with just the code that's necessary to prepare codeInfo structions
for jit compilation.

cheers,
~rob