[kaffe] networkaddress.cache.ttl

Timothy Stack stack at cs.utah.edu
Fri Feb 21 09:25:01 PST 2003

> > Does Kaffe support the security property
> > "networkaddress.cache.ttl" ?
>
> I don't think it does. A grep over the source tree
> doesn't turn it up anywhere.
>
> > Does it cache lookups at all? If so, what is the
> > default time to cache
> > them for?
>
> I've read the code in
> libraries/javalib/java/net/InetAddress*.java and
> libraries/clib/net/InetAddressImpl.c, and I'd assume
> that it doesn't. Neither does the pocketlinux version,
> judging by their DNS.c file, despite that they
> factored out the DNS handling code into kaffe.net.DNS.

> InetAddress caching shouldn't be that hard to add,
> though, if you'd like to submit a patch. You may also
> want to take a look at the code in GNU Classpath's CVS
> tree, which implements InetAddress caching. See
> http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/classpath/classpath/java/net/InetAddress.java?rev=1.15&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

So, I just happened to be playing around with this a bit.  I integrated
some classpath stuff and fixed their bugs.  I also added a configure
option to use dnsjava (http://www.xbill.org/dnsjava) so the whole VM
wouldn't block while calling gethostbyname()/etc...  I can clean it up a
bit, wire up caching for dnsjava and send it out.

> cheers,
> dalibor topic

tim stack