[kaffe] Kaffe(VM) is obsolte! *please read, some very interresting suggestions*

Dalibor Topic robilad at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 8 06:05:01 PST 2003

Hi Dan,

--- Dan Kegel <dkegel at ixiacom.com> wrote:
> IMHO there's room for both gcj and kaffe.

And for more, in my opinion. And there are more,
fortunately ;)

Think about ORP, Wonka, Jeroen's .NET JVM, Jikes RVM,
Kissme, Sable VM, Japhar, ... They all have their pros
and cons. Choose what's best for your task. There is
as much room as people need.

> I do think some cosolidation would be good, but I
> think Dalibor is
> doing a good job of vacuuming up improvements from
> various places
> and bringing them into Kaffe.

Thanks!

In my opinion, there is a lot of interesting work
happening in free software Java efforts. Merging code
from some of them into kaffe is a way to improve
kaffe, and let these projects reach a wider audience
at the same time. Kaffe gets the classes, the projects
get the bug fixes & patches. It has worked well so
far.

There is a major difference between GNU Classpath and
kaffe's class library from a merger's pointof view:
The GNU Classpath team needs a copyright assignement
before they can put the code in, I don't. That makes
my "job" somewhat easier.

Looking back over the last year, a lot of interesting
things have happened. More ports (s390, superh,
hppa-linux, ps2linux), more merges (janosVM bits,
pocketlinux bits), more classes (GNU JAXP, GNU regex,
GNU Classpath bits, tritonus), more apps that run
(tomcat 3, saxon, most of jakarta, and now jython),
more choices (qt-based awt, different sound backends),
more bugfixes (mips linux, arm linux, kaffeh, and a
ton of VM core and class library fixes), new build
system, new serialization code, and so on.

A big THANK YOU to all involved from me. Keep up the
good work. It's been a pleasure to work with you.

best regards,