[kaffe] BCEL Verifier?

Dalibor Topic robilad at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 10 03:07:01 PST 2003

Hi Rob,

--- gonzo <Robert.N.Gonzalez at williams.edu> wrote:

> > It runs on kaffe, so you can use the
> GraphicalVerifier if you add
> > swing.jar to the CLASSPATH, or the commandline
> Verifier to verify
> > single classes. But it hasn't been integrated, as
> in "delegate
> > verification to it". It comes under the ASF
> license, and that one
> > supposedly (says FSF) doesn't mix well with the
> GPL. I wouldn't like
> > to start another licensing war ;)
>
> that answers my question :)  it's too bad, because
> the JustIce verifier is
> easily the best free software one out there.

Well, the author used to release it under the LGPL but
when he moved the project to Jakarta he changed the
license. You should ask Enver (the author) for more
information on what's possible and what not.

> > Anyway, I've used it to verify latest kjc-compiled
> > rt.jar. I can post the results online, if anyone
> is
> > interested. They are mostly O.K., except for a few
> > rejected methods that need to have someone take a
> > close look at them to see if kjc is producing bad
> > bytecodes.
>
> i wouldn't mind taking a look, though i offer very
> little in the way of
> kjc knowledge.

they are online now:
http://www.kaffe.org/~robilad/rt-jar-verification-results-with-bcel.txt.bz2

I didn't have my BCEL Verifier script sort out the
non-class files, so there are a few obvious rejects
for files which are not class files ;) I'll post a
short FAQ.bcelverifier as sonn as I get around to
write it, explaining how you can verify the class
library yourself. That should help get the number of
compiler related problems down.

> > p.s. how is your verifier coming along?
>
> funny you should ask :)  after a good number of
> months of little work (i
> was taking a graphics class that required a pretty
> enormous amount of
> programming), i've finally started picking it up
> again this week.

I'll reply in a separate mail.

best regards,