[OT] Naming conventions Re: [kaffe] Is it a bug? System.loadLibrary() fails...

Dalibor Topic robilad at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 10 10:48:02 PST 2003

--- Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
> Kim, Seong Beom wrote:
> > p.s. my first name is Seongbeom, sorry for
> confusing name convention... ;-)
>
> I find the "capitalize the family name" convention
> quite helpful.  e.g. Dan KEGEL, KIM Seongbeom,
> Seongbeom KIM.

He's using the "Last name , comma, First Name(s)"
convention. I thought Beom was another first name,
like "S" in Roosevelt, Theodore S . I'm sorry about
that. Having a rather uncommon first name myself, I
know what it's like to be misspelled ;) Fact is, I
can't get my last name spelled properly without
Unicode, so all my German ID papers are, hm,
approximations ;)

Capitalizing wouldn't always work, because some
letters can't be capitalized (take German ß
("ess-zett"), for example). Additionally some letters
(Croatian nj, for example) are only half-capitalized,
AFAIK, so you get Nj.

In case you are wondering, there is an ISO Standard
for defining such conventions, ISO 15897. The latest
draft is at:
http://anubis.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc22/wg20/docs/n987-22n3523.pdf.
 Clause 16 of a "narrative cultural specification" is
for personal names rules of the locale. I think the
narrative spec from Netherlands can be found online.
And the draft has such convetions for Gaellic and
Danish.

best regards,