[kaffe] verifier and threads

Patrick Tullmann tullmann at cs.utah.edu
Tue Jan 21 10:13:01 PST 2003

Helmer wrote:
> seems like I tracked this one down. The problem was that
> Class.forName () catched the VerifyError and threw a
> ClassNotFoundException instead. I've attached a pretty
> simple patch that should fix this.

While I admit that's weird to replace one exception with the other I'm
quite certain it was done for a reason.  Since there aren't any
comments of note, I'm guessing that the code you removed intentionally
changed an unchecked Error into a checked Exception, so that users of
the method would have a chance to deal with it.

A compromise might be to chain the VerifyError onto the
ClassNotFoundException, so that users (and in this case developers!)
can see the real error that caused the problem.

-Pat

Pat Tullmann                                       tullmann at cs.utah.edu
    Not many people realize just how well known I am -- Anonymous