[kaffe] verifier and threads

Dalibor Topic robilad at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 21 11:13:01 PST 2003

Hi Patrick,

--- Patrick Tullmann <tullmann at cs.utah.edu> wrote:
> Helmer wrote:
> > seems like I tracked this one down. The problem
> was that
> > Class.forName () catched the VerifyError and threw
> > ClassNotFoundException instead. I've attached a
> pretty
> > simple patch that should fix this.
>
> While I admit that's weird to replace one exception
> with the other I'm
> quite certain it was done for a reason.  Since there
> aren't any
> comments of note, I'm guessing that the code you
> removed intentionally
> changed an unchecked Error into a checked Exception,
> so that users of
> the method would have a chance to deal with it.

Ahem, I did it last July, when I reimplemented
Class.forName in java. It has been part of the native
code in Class.c, so I dragged it over. It has been
introduced by Godmar in this patch:
http://www.kaffe.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/kaffe/libraries/clib/native/Class.c.diff?r1=1.32&r2=1.33
in order to handle malformed signatures.

On the other hand, according to the $12.3.1 of JLS 2nd
Ed. , I'd expect it to throw VerifierError. It's legal
as VerifierError is a subclass of LinkageError.

So, if the patch passes the regression test suite, I'd
say let's check it in, unless there are serious
concerns about some application breaking, etc.