[kaffe] Re: [kaffe] Upgrading autotools requirements to a more recent version

Jim Pick jim at kaffe.org
Sat Jan 25 09:11:02 PST 2003

Nobody likes to mess with the auto* tools.

How about if we put together a separate small "toolchain"
package that developers can install, which contains versions
of the auto* tools that can be installed in an non-intrusive
location.  We'd release a new toolchain tarball periodically.

Then anybody would be able to update the configure scripts.

A more controversial move would be to remove the
autogenerated bits from CVS - then people building from
CVS would be forced to use autogen.sh and the toolchain.
I'm interested in what CVS users think about that.  I think
we could meet the needs of casual CVS users by just doing
more frequent releases.

Personally, I think we should continue to check in the
autogenerated bits (eg. configure and the Makefile.in's)
for the time being.

Cheers,

 - Jim