[kaffe] Re: flestmail - daily - 420/421 passed (99.8%) (0 errors, 1 failures)

Dalibor Topic robilad at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 2 05:49:01 PDT 2003

Hi Helmer,

I forgot to CC the list on my last mail, sorry about that.

--- Helmer Krämer <hkraemer at freenet.de> wrote:

> Running with --noverify I get this message, which seems to
> be a bit odd, since kaffe should not run out of memory while
> the heap is 36.1% free....
>
> <GC: heap 81920K, total before 62328K, after 52380K (1390564/1143743 objs)
>  36.1% free, alloced 13999K (#362989), marked 47938K, swept 9948K (#246821)
>  0 objs (0K) awaiting finalization>
> <GC: heap 81920K, total before 52372K, after 52371K (1143711/1143704 objs)
>  36.1% free, alloced 1K (#9), marked 47938K, swept 0K (#7)
>  0 objs (0K) awaiting finalization>
> lt-kaffe-bin: ../../../kaffe/kaffe/kaffevm/mem/gc-incremental.c:902:
> gcMalloc: Assertion `ranout++ == 0 || !!!"Ran out of memory!"' failed.
>
> Could it be that this is the very same problem that causes the
> crashes on mips and alpha? You're limiting the amount of heap

maybe.

> that's available and immediatly get a failed assertion if you
> run it with -vmdebug CATCHOUTOFMEM or a simple segfault if you
> run it without that option (if CATCHOUTOFMEM is disabled, gcMalloc
> simply returns 0 instead of causing the assertion failure).
> Furthermore, you only see this gc problem when you use jit or
> jit3, since both of them allocate memory during the translation,
> whereas the intrp almost only allocates memory for the java objects
> (so you'd need a bigger java project for this problem to occur
> with intrp). Seems to be completely unrelated to the gc_free()
> in machine.c, funny ;)

hm, so the failure could be local to gc's handling of memory allocations form
the jitter. Or there are problems with allocations from the jitters.

> On the other hand, it's hard to beleive that this is the
> problem since the gc has not been touched lately (besides my
> patch that merely moved things around a little bit, which
> should not have caused any damage), so this would mean that
> the gc was broken for a _very_ long time ....

I think that your patch to free trampolines looks alright. I assume that it
uncovered a bug in the gc that lay dormant for a long time.