[kaffe] Shutdown process

Helmer Krämer hkraemer at freenet.de
Sun Jul 6 12:03:02 PDT 2003

On Sun, 6 Jul 2003 16:59:57 +0100
Guilhem Lavaux <guilhem.lavaux at free.fr> wrote:

Hi Guilhem,

> I am working on the VM shutdown process in Kaffe as I noticed it was not
> implemented (and thus not conform to Java 1.3 but I think there are many
> functions like that). Looking at the code, I have noticed that effectively VM
> is always shutdown quiet bruskly: exit(xx) is called natively and that's it.
> Apparently a more extended behaviour has been foreseen in the past because
> there is a class calls kaffe.lang.Application which must deal with shutting
> down the resource of an Application. However:
> 1) this does not really follow the specification as if it is used only the
> thread calling exit is shut down
> 2) I did not see any call to kaffe.lang.Application in the javalib nor in the
> C native implementation.
>
> So is there an interest in keeping it or can I modify it without restriction ?

I don't think keeping kaffe.lang.Application as it is now
makes much sense (i.e. I don't see a reason why it should
extend java.lang.ClassLoader). So it would be really cool
if you would clean it up and give it a method that handles
the shutdown sequence. This method could then be called
from Runtime.exit() and when the last non daemon thread
exits.

Thanks,
Helmer