[kaffe] Development snapshots

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Fri Jul 18 06:19:01 PDT 2003

Hi Jaco,

Jaco Greeff wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a possibility that Kaffe can offer more regular development
> snapshots, possibly on a weekly basis. My personal feeling is that this
> helps other projects, e.g. Wine, a great deal in getting testing on the
> latest and greatest. (Bleeding-edge people seem to flock to weekly
> releases instead of getting the CVS snapshot themselves.)

regular distribution snapshots would be nice. I'm putting irregular
(about every two weeks) distribution snapshots here:
http://www.kaffe.org/~robilad/

you can also get the real thing, a CVS snapshot, from Jim's current work
on getting a regression test rig set up:

ftp://ftp.kaffe.org/pub/testrig/resultnodes/source-snapshots/data

with CVS snapshots you need the latest automake (1.7.6), autoconf (2.57)
and libtool (1.5), and gnu make to build kaffe. distribution snapshots
should work without them.

> I think that the 1.1.x series is a step in the right direction, but
> there is bound to be people out there without CVS access (damn those
> corporate firewalls) which would be interested in helping a bit more
> with testing. Another obvious plus is that it makes the project seem
> more active, before the 1.1.0 release we have a drought of a year on any
> releases. (And to be quite honest I for one would rather not wait
> another month for the 1.1.1 snapshot :))

I was thinking about asking Jim to release 1.1.1 once Rob's verifier
work has been completed. That's a great feature to have.

Since 1.1.0 came out, we've also fixed the build on a couple of
platforms, fixed crashes on a few platfroms, got eclipse to load, and so
on, so a 1.1.1 release would be nice.

> Potentially this process can be automated, it should be a simple case of
> getting a cron cvs checkout, doing the am magic and tarring the bunch
> up. (And that might be a bit of an understatement...)

Oh yes, please! You should get in touch with Jim about doing it, if you
know more about creating such a setup.;)

p.s. did the latest CVS version fix the remaining problems for you with
ant 1.5.3? Then I'd update the compatibility web page accordingly ...