[kaffe] Release planning

Jim Pick jim at kaffe.org
Fri Jul 18 19:42:02 PDT 2003

Hi,

I'd like to stick to approximately a 2 month release cycle between 1.1.x
releases.

How does this sound for dates?

Sunday, July 27 - Feature Freeze for 1.1.1
Sunday, August 3 - Release 1.1.1

I'm proposing a freeze only for one week.  The 1.1.x series is a
development series of releases, so it doesn't make sense to freeze for
too long.  We don't have to do too much testing, but a little would be
nice.  Most of the ugly "packaging" stuff was done in 1.1.0, so it
should be easier this time.

I'd really like to get some regression testing set up on kaffe.org soon,
that will help us out in the testing department greatly.  I've decided
to take Fridays off work for most of the summer, so I should be able to
make some headway on that.

Also, is it helpful to set dates further into the future?  Since
everybody is a volunteer, I think a long-term timetable would be helpful
so people can make plans.

Here's what I was thinking...

Sunday, September 28 - Feature Freeze for 1.1.2
Sunday, October 5 - Release 1.1.2

Sunday, November 30 - Feature Freeze for 1.1.3
Sunday, December 7 - Release 1.1.3

Sunday, January 18, 2004 - Feature Freeze for 1.2.0
Sunday, January 23, 2004 - Release Candidate - 1.2.0-rc1
Sunday, February 1, 2004 - Release Candidate - 1.2.0-rc2
Sunday, February 8, 2004 - Release 1.2.0 (Production Release)

I don't really have any release goals, so I think it might be a good
idea to just pick the dates.  My main input into the project is to do
the releases, as well as run the server -- fixing some dates would keep
me honest.  :-)

I think given that amount of time, we could have a really solid
production release we can be proud of.

Cheers,

 - Jim